- 6:30am - Left house
- 6:30am - 6:45am - walked to taxi stand
- 6:45am - 7:05am - waited for a full car from the taxi to take us to Kivinje (where our hospital is)
- 7:05am - 7:30am - taxi 28km to the hospital
- 7:30am - proposed time we'd leave with hospital staff going for a visit to a health center
- 7:30am - 9:05am - wait at hospital for others to be ready to leave
- 9:05am - 9:30am - drive to the health center
- 9:30am - 10:15am - conduct interviews with health staff (only task for the day)
- 10:15am - 4:15pm - wait for driver to return and take us back to the hospital
- 4:15pm - 4:45pm - travel back to the hospital
- 4:45pm - 5:05pm - wait for taxi back to Kilwa
- 5:05pm - 5:35pm - travel back to Kilwa
- 5:35pm - 6:00pm - walk back to our house
- 6:00pm - eat
Thanks to Curt for the suggestion of bringing a book with me where ever I go in Africa. I'm going to get a lot of reading done here. Anyone have suggestions for books?

"10:15am - 4:15pm - wait for driver to come back to take us back to the hospital"
ReplyDeletedannggg!!! I'm reading Girl with the Dragon Tattoo right now when I'm on subways. Crime-ish thriller based in Sweden.
So how are you going to get books to read? Electronic?
ReplyDeleteBook suggestion: The Challenge For Africa, by Wangari Maathai (Nobel Peace Prize winner and founder of the Green Belt Movement, native Kenyan). She analyzes the complex and many-layered issues facing Africa in a way I had not thought of, and offers many different ideas on actions that can be taken.
ReplyDeleteSome of the better books I've read recently: All the Pretty Horses and Water for Elephants. The first is beautiful and sad and epic, the second is simply one of the most enjoyable books I've read in a long time.
ReplyDeleteWow Andrew, that's a lot of waiting time. Is there any chance to get a vehicle of some sort for your group?
ReplyDeleteBook Suggestion: A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier ...
ReplyDeleteEasy read, but still very powerful
Should I mail to you or are you gettng electronic versions of books?
If you want to get all academic people are really fired up about dead aid by dambisa Moyo (fits into the jeffrey sachs vs William easterly fight over aid in africa). I liked the brief and wondrous life of oscar wao, and moon palace by paul austerly, both pretty surreal. And for pondering the meaning of being detached the unbearable lightness of being. That was my favorite book when abroad
ReplyDeleteNo electronic books here. All paper back. There's a few book stores in Dar es Salaam and I plan to hit them up when I'm back in the big city for some reading material so thanks for all the suggestions.
ReplyDeleteSilvia, I'd be happy to get books and/or chocolate and/or any food item that won't go bad in 10 days :)
Paul, you read my mind. We do have some official Clinton vehicles and drivers but because we're in such a rural town, we're not based very close to where the cars are based (about 2 hours away in Lindi). That being said, we're definitely trying to coordinate getting cars to be able to visit the centers we're trying to help in a more efficient way. Establishing relationships with the workers will be an important part of them actually buying into whatever changes we come up with.
That's either a nice long break or an excruciatingly long break. I just read a book called Creating Customer Evangelists, I know, it sounds exciting huh? Take care buddy!
ReplyDeleteAndrew, thanks for the Ramadan update as well as the play by play to your day. Sounds awesome. If you're looking for a book you'd probably enjoy and laugh out loud reading... Try a book called Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, funny as the f-word.
ReplyDelete