Here's another quick example of work life in TZ.
Without naming names, here's an example of an attempt to meet with a TZ official.
A local official is upset we're not meeting with him to explain our plans and ask him for permission to meet with other officials and health workers. We have tried to meet with him in the past but he doesn’t pick up our phone calls, doesn’t have voice mail (no one in TZ does), is rarely in his office, and doesn’t respond to our text messages.
We call him to apologize and request a meeting.
He miraculously picks up and is happy to hear from us but can't meet today.
Him: How about Friday?
Me: OK, 10am work for you?
Him: Sounds good.
Me: OK, I'll call at 9:30am to confirm. (I’ve learned to do this ☺ )
Friday...
Call at 9:30am.
Him: Hello who is this?
Me: It's Andrew Peterson calling from CHAI (I've explained who I am and that I'm from CHAI on no less than 5 other occasions).
Him: Oh yes, hello.
Me: Good morning. I was just calling to confirm this was still a good time for you.
Him: What?
Me: I just wanted to confirm that you’re still available for a meeting now.
Him: Meeting?
Me: Yes, we had scheduled a meeting this morning at 10am. I was calling to confirm that time works for you.
Him: Oh… right… I’m busy right now. Can you come at 12pm?
Me: OK, I’ll call to confirm at 11:30am.
Call at 11:30am.
Him: Hello who is this?
Me: It's Andrew Peterson calling from CHAI (#6). I wanted to confirm this time works for you for our meeting.
Him: Ahh, yes I’m actually still busy. Can you come at 2pm?
Me: OK I’ll call at 1:30pm to confirm.
Call at 1:30pm.
Him: Hello who is this?
Me: It's Andrew Peterson calling from CHAI (#7). I wanted to make sure you’re still available now for our meeting?
Him: Umm not right now.
Me: OK, we’re eager to meet and share our work plans with you. When is a good time? Would you like to call us when you’re ready to meet today?
Him: OK, I’ll call you soon.
He never calls.
Currently, we’re waiting for another meeting that was scheduled initially for yesterday mid day.
At 5pm last night we were still waiting and the person we had been waiting to meet with goes home because he’s had a long day.
We scheduled to meet with him at 8am. It’s now 10:30am and we’re still waiting.
At least I have some internet connection to keep me busy.
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

We finally met him at 1pm...
ReplyDeleteLOL :D
ReplyDeleteSounds familiar...