I've been running on the beach by my house alone for a few months now. Goodluck has come with me maybe 2 times but most of the time I run alone and with my head phones in. Accordingly I expected running to be another way I'd feel isolated here. However, one of the main parts I've grown to love about the running is that even if you're running alone, it's social (especially on the beach in Kilwa).
There are not many other African's that run the beach other than a few boys on a local soccer team. But from about 5pm to 6:30pm each night people from the community come out to sit on the beach with friends and enjoy the sunset/twilight.
Being the Mzungu (word for white person in East Africa) I get plenty of stares but I say hi to everyone I pass and they smile and give me a thumbs up and a wave back. Sometimes I throw out a mambo vipi (what's up) and get a warm response. Sounds like nothing much but despite not being able to communicate, I've felt closest to the community when I run on the beach.
Today, a local man came out of no where and just started running next to me. I looked over at him and smiled and he nodded in acknowledgment and then we just ran in silence next to each other for the next 25 minutes. We passed a bunch of people on the beach but no one seemed to think it was odd that we were running together. I'm sure he just wanted to go for a run but because he chose to do it along side me I felt accepted.
It's hard to explain to some folks from home but living in a world as the "other" for the first time in my life has been harder than I thought it would be. But a simple experience like I had today becomes that much more meaningful.
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment