Sunday, July 18, 2010

20 Things I'll Miss about Tanzania

I officially depart Tanzania three weeks from today and I have a ton of mixed feelings. I've been busy wrapping up my work projects and packing up my life while saying goodbye to friends and trying to plan the next phase of my life. 

While I'm super excited to come home and start checking things off my top 50 things to do list, I've also been trying to spend some time reflecting on the things I'll miss. So here's my top 20 list of things I'll miss about living in Kilwa, Tanzania:

  1. soda from a glass bottle
  2. soda with real sugar
  3. scuba diving in warm water
  4. living on the beach
  5. running on the beach
  6. the Indian ocean
  7. fried, fresh fish
  8. time to read books
  9. getting sleep
  10. flexible work schedule
  11. being able to speak a language no one understands
  12. everyone greeting one another on the street
  13. buying a whole TV series for $4
  14. children getting unreasonably happy seeing a white person (dancing, singing, jumping up and down, etc)
  15. having a housekeeper for household chores
  16. never being self conscious about how I smell, how dirty I am, or what I’m wearing
  17. fresh food
  18. tomatoes year round
  19. women burping profusely in public
  20. being surrounded by so many opportunities for improved efficiency

No comments:

Post a Comment